Asia/Europe Continental Border

Asia/Europe Continental Border

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

THE PHONE CALL - THE REFERRAL

On November 11, 2009 at approximately 3:30pm mu cell phone rang. It was Michalina's phone number from Frank Adoption. My pulse raced. I just spoke to her last week and we had no news, could this just be a follow up call. I pretended to remain calm. Joe was downstairs on his computer (as usual!) and I was upstairs getting some office files organized (there is that ADD again). I picked up the cell and held my breathe. Michalina made small talk, how is your day, what are you doing, are you home or at work....and inside my head is saying "WHATTTTTT!!! JUST TEll me !!!" but again, I faked composure when she said she had a referral for us. The region had changed. We were now going to Ekaterinburg (aka YEKATERINBURG) in the Ural Mountains region of Russia. It was a tough region with regards to paperwork, but a very good region with regards to orphanages. I called Joe to come listen as I put Michalina on speakerphone and she gave us the details.
The next of details that followed stopped us in our tracks and I immediately began to cry, she told us we were getting twin boys !!

Now let me tell you a little bit about referrals. the agency emails you some information that the orphanage and the facilitator in Russia gave them. Generally a few photos, limited medicals, birthdates and some measurements. When you get these pictures you first instinct is to post them on your blog and tell everyone that these are your kids. Rule one....this is not kosher and you don't do this in the adoption world.
Next the agency usually tells you thagt you should get back to them in a few days. Yes,a life long decision in 4 days. Well, just the decision to travel and meet them, not necessarily adopt just yet. I will give you more details about the referrak phase and the doctors in the next post. Have a great one !! I went out to celebrate to Joe, Kristen, John and Aunt Kathlyn !!

No comments: